Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Paula Mowery: A Healthy Author is a Productive Author



Over the last several months the topic of health has weighed on my mind. Maybe you can relate to several hours of sitting in a desk chair writing and editing. Some of my favorite writing blogs and even writing craft books have addressed this unhealthy practice. I finally decided to take all of the information and suggestions to develop a plan for myself. 

The result of following this plan has not only made me more healthy but more productive. For example, I have made progress on my WIP and not experienced my normal story blocks. Because I set a timer, when the buzzer sounds, I stop writing and make a few short notes in the margin. This allows me to immediately jump back into the story during my next writing session. I make progress in all areas that I need to spend time on each day.

So, how about you? Do you need to become a healthier author? Start by listing the tasks you need to accomplish each day. Rank these in order of importance. Establish a time period for each task. I wouldn’t suggest longer than 45 minutes. Now, in between each task add in 10 to 15 minutes of movement or exercise. After your exercise interval is complete, sit down and begin your next working interval.

Here is a basic plan:
  • 30 minutes Bible reading and study
  • 10 minutes exercise
  • 45 minutes Write on WIP
  • 10 minutes exercise
  • 30 minutes Social media
  • 10 minutes exercise
  • 45 minutes Editing for contracted authors
  • 10 minutes Pilates
Because of church activities and weekend family activities, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday differ. I will modify to fit my schedule on those days. However, Sunday is my day to totally get away to honor the Sabbath.

Has anyone else implemented a plan? I would love for you to leave a comment and share. You never know how you might inspire someone else to become a more healthy and productive author.


About Paula:

Paula Mowery is a published author, acquisitions editor, and speaker. Her first two published works were The Blessing Seer and Be the Blessing from Pelican Book Group. Both are women’s fiction, and their themes have been the topics of speaking engagements. Be the Blessing won the Selah Award in 2014 in the novella category. In November of 2013, her first romance released in the anthology, Brave New Century, from Prism Book Group. This book went to number five on Amazon’s bestseller category, historical Christian romance. Legacy and Love is her first solo romance.

Paula is a pastor’s wife and mom to a college student. She homeschooled her daughter through all twelve years, and they both lived to tell about it. Before educating her daughter at home, she was an English teacher in public school.

You can follow Paula on Facebook. Learn more about Paula on her blog or enjoy her monthly columns on Christian Online Magazine. You can also check out her blog for Christian writers.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me again on Write Right! I've done my exercise intervals today. Have you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being a giuest, Paula! My entire schedule has run amok since we sold our house. I'm packing and doing all the thousand other things that go along with a cross-country move. But I LOVE your ideas for exercise intervals, and intend to put them into play.

      Delete
  2. Excellent suggestions, Paula. I learned a long time ago my body doesn't do well sitting too long. I'm not quite as regimented, but my study is upstairs and the laundry room is in the basement. I also walk the dog. Breaking up the day with something physical is a great habit. My timer broke so I play CDs now, which sometimes play longer than an the best time to break.
    Delia, you are going to move? Wow, wonderful news. Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete