The desire to write is a passion. A spark deep inside writers that can’t be squelched. No matter the turmoil, negative critiques, rewrites, rejections…a writer keeps on, trudging down the path to publication.
But, that doesn’t mean it’s an easy road for most. While we dream of publishing contracts, best selling novels, the word author as part of our bio; criticism, redirection and rejection often become the norm as we hone our craft. So, how do we handle the growing pains along the road from writer to author?
Well here are some thoughts:
- Don’t take criticism or rejection personally. Consider the rejection or critique as constructive feedback. Check your manuscripts over, dig in and try to understand what others are seeing or not seeing. If something is missing, fix it!
- Consider the source for any negative feedback. Did the comment come from someone familiar with your genre? Not everyone likes the same type of storyline, so find like writers and readers for effective critiques.
- Editors and agents have preferences and opinions that may not jive with your own. Don’t discount their feedback, but also don’t accept changes that don’t feel right.
- Keep writing! Stay determined. Stay true to your dream. The more you write the stronger your writing will become. And always be open to new ideas and incorporate workable suggestions.
- Remember that you are not alone. Most authors, even best selling, have received negative critiques and/or rejections. You are in good company!
- Remain prayerful. God has a plan and His timing is perfect.
After many critiques and some noteworthy rejections of my own the call finally came. A personal accomplishment for me and the Lord!
SHE'S HIDING A DEADLY SECRET…
…and someone wants to make sure Amber Talbot never reveals it. When she becomes the target of a car bomb and a home invasion, she gets the message loud and clear. If she tells anyone her secret, she will die. The person charged with protecting her is police detective Patrick Wiley—the fiancé she walked away from but never forgot. The same man she never wanted to tell about the attack that left her for dead. Back then Patrick couldn't save her. Now he must. Because the attacker has returned to finish what he started. Except this time he's got them both in his sights.
Annslee Urban grew up watching old-time romance movies, which she attributes to her passion for sweet romance, true love and happy endings. A daydreamer at heart, Annslee began her writing journey when the youngest of her five children started school. For several years she worked as a freelance writer for newspapers in her community and has written for magazines and online publications.
Raised in the foothills of Arizona, she survived temperature shock when she moved to Western Pennsylvania, before setting in North Carolina with her husband and children. Aside from writing, Annslee works part-time as a Registered Nurse in the Behavioral Health field. She is a member of ACFW, and has served as on the board of Carolina Christian Writers. She currently has 4 published novels. Her current book, Broken Silence, Harlequin Love Inspired Suspense, came out in March 2015.
When she isn’t writing, Annslee enjoys cooking, traveling to faraway places, playing with grandbabies and all things chocolate!
Amazon Author Page